Sunday 20 March 2016

CHARITY STAFF FOUNDATION AWARDS

A few weeks ago I was contacted by the head of volunteering of CLIC Sargent, Jen Harries and she told me that I had been shortlisted for an award. It was a huge shock to the system as it wasn't just a local awards but a national award ceremony. The category I was nominated for was the Community Volunteer of the Year for my hard efforts in fundraising and volunteering in Plymouth. I was so excited but also nervous at the same time. 
Obviously I took my amazing mum with me as my plus one, she's always been a huge support in everything I do so I couldn't exactly leave her at home could I? 
The event was in the city of London, near tower bridge which is a completely different end to where we usual stay when we visit London.
After a long train journey and panicking about what I was going to say if I did win which in my eyes was very unlikely, the awards evening quickly came and we were stood outside the venue meeting the CEO and volunteer manager of CLIC Sargent. An hour passed of eating canapays, drinking wine and mingling with other nominees and the time came to take our seats for the results of the awards. There were 20 category's and mine was number 8..I remember feeling very nervous and excited. I read through all the nominees and they were all brilliant and deserved an award in my eyes. 
When my name was called as the winner of Community Volunteer Of The Year I burst with many emotions and surprisingly felt very teary. I never feel that I should be recognised for what I do so having a room full of people cheer for me was really overwhelming. 
If it wasn't for the amazing charity, CLIC Sargent who have been supporting me since my diagnosis in 2012, I would have never felt the importance of volunteering and fundraising. I don't think you understand the importance of charities until you become a service user of them. 



2 comments:

  1. Congratulations ! Just from reading your blog you seem such an inspirational and kind person, you definitely desserved this award :)

    lots of love, Marianne xxx

    http://myhappybubblexx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Marianne!

      I hope you are well.
      xxxxx

      Delete