Saturday 23 May 2015

Cancerversary


Today celebrates the day I was diagnosed with cancer, 3 years ago.
 Lots of people probably question why I celebrate the day I was diagnosed and my answer to this is, why not celebrate a day which changed my life forever?
Some people easily forget about the whole cancer thing but when you suffer with side effects of treatment, you are reminded everyday.I personally find it very hard to forget what happened...I don't dwell on it every day but I love to embrace it in some sort of way and always tell myself how lucky I am to be cancer free and alive today. 

I also love to celebrate as I reflect on the journey I went through and how far I have come since that day. I also think about how many amazing people I have met through my journey. It is also a day where I reflect on the amazing things I have accomplished since my diagnosis. I would never have had the opportunity to do most of them if I didn't have my cancer diagnosis. 

I believe that everything happens for a reason and I feel blessed to have beaten the 50 % survival rate I was given, when I had my transplant. 
I think about the friends who have lost their battle to cancer everyday and can't help but feel guilty at times that I am alive. I just hope that one day we will reunite. 
I will never forget the day that changed my life for the better, it has shaped the person I am today and for that I feel very blessed. 

7 comments:

  1. Great peace Elisha, really uplifting take on such a difficult time.. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cullum. I hope you are well my lovely.xx

      Delete
  2. You are an inspiration Elisha - I celebrated the one year mark of diagnoses, and like you people asked why; it should be the transplant date you should celebrate (I will do that as well) but the date of diagnoses is as you say, a turning point in life that know one expects. It made me realise how strong you really are when you're tested; and to look how how far you've come is definitely worth celebrating :-) X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I celebrate both the day I was diagnosed and my transplant day as they are both important dates for me and my family. I love to reflect on how far I have come and changed as a person, for the better. How far post transplant are you now? I hope you are doing well :) xx

      Delete