Wednesday 22 October 2014

Fatigue

Since being diagnosed with cancer in 2012 I have suffered with extreme tiredness and I have been told that it is a side effect from the stem cell transplant. It isn't a normal tiredness feeling, It's hard to explain, it's more like a body aching, drained feeling tiredness. My consultant had told me it is most likely because of all the treatment I have received. Yes it was 2 years ago but I didn't realise that your body takes time to recover and this is something I need to do before getting back to a normal working life. I know people who are back to work full time and are doing great and this make me feel like a complete failure but at the end of the day I need to keep reminding myself that 1. People receive different treatment 2. People respond to treatment differently. I can feel that in myself I am so much better than I was last year which is a huge positive, I have more energy and most importantly my immune system is bloody brilliant. 

Fatigue can effect people in different ways. The common effects include:
- Feeling of having no energy
- Lack of concentration
Having trouble thinking, speaking or making decisions
- Difficulty remembering things
- Feeling breathlessness after light activity 
- Difficulty sleeping
- Feeling more moody or emotional 

Before being diagnosed with cancer and having treatment, I never suffered with these side effects and although I am so grateful to be alive and well today, fatigue is a horrible thing to suffer with. The most annoying thing I find is finding it so difficult remembering things and having no energy. I am 21 years old and to feel the way I feel is not normal for my age which frustrates me the most. 

Managing Fatigue
There are many ways to manage fatigue 
- Eating well and drinking a lot of fluids
- Light exercise such as walking or I find swimming helps a lot
- Sleeping 
- Relaxation 
- Counselling 
- Support Groups

I hope this post reassures anyone that it is normal to suffer with fatigue. Talking to people does help and I have found how common it is with cancer patients/survivors by talking to others. 




No comments:

Post a Comment